Our story begins in 1899, when pioneering art-deco and inter-war architect Henry E. Budden, with his colleague Harry C. Kent, formed Kent & Budden Architects.
1899 — Kent & Budden Architects
BNMH Architects was founded in 1899 by pioneering art-deco and inter-war architect Henry E. Budden. The firm originated in 1899 when Budden, with his colleague Harry C. Kent, formed Kent & Budden Architects, which then became Kent, Budden & Greenwell (1911), Budden & Greenwell (1919), and then Budden & Mackey (1931).
Throughout the firm’s 120-year history, the practice has been the recipient of a number of prestigious awards, including the Sir John Sulman Medal Award seen in the associated image. This particular award was presented for the firm’s work on the Primary Producers Bank of Australia, located at 105 Pitt Street, Sydney. This was one of two Sulman Medals the firm won, the other being presented for the Railway House Building (Transport House) above Wynyard Station, located at 19-31 York St, Sydney. Some of the firm’s projects during this time included: The David Jones Department Store, located on Castlereagh Street, Sydney, The Sydney Waterboard Building (now converted into the Primus Hotel) The Grand United Building (Castlereagh Street), the Department of NSW Railways Commission Building (Railway House) and The Primary Producers Bank (Ground Floor Entrance).
David Jones Department Store, Sydney, original artist's impression sketch
Completed by Budden & Mackey (BNMH Architects), late 1920s
Sir John Sulman Medal Awarded to Budden & Mackey (BNMH Architects)
Firm founder, Henry E. Budden's sketchbook
In 1931, Budden would go on to become the President of the Institute of Architects, NSW. In 1940, the firm became Budden & Nangle, with Alan Nangle joining the practice. In 1951, the firm was expanded to Budden, Nangle & Michael Architects, with the addition of Roy Michael as partner. The firm’s current Director, Ray Hudson, became a partner of the firm in 1981, and the practice renamed as Budden, Nangle, Michael & Hudson Architects. Our practice is now known as BNMH Architects Pty Ltd.
Today, BNMH Architects meets the challenges of modern architecture, combining expertise with our longstanding history. BNMH Architects provides architectural services within the educational, medical, commercial and multi-unit residential/retirement sectors, providing work of the highest calibre - a tradition maintained since our inception.
Recent projects by BNMH Architects